THE CHURCHES OF VIRGINIA
Photography by John G. DeMajo
GINTER PARK BAPTIST CHURCH
1200 Wilmington Avenue, Richmond, VA. 23227
A Brief History of Ginter Park Baptist Church
November, 1916 - Baptist Counsil gives approval to form an official congregation.
1917 - Dr. Wlliam Headley called as first pastor.
1916-1919 - Present property purchased for $2,000
Same period- Grace Street Presbyterian Church merger with Covenant Presbyterian. Property from Grace Street Church could not be sold, so it was demolished. Richmond Engineering Co., owned by Ernest W. Farley (charter member of Ginter Park Baptist, purchased the Grace building, dismantled it, and reassembled it on the Ginter Park land.
October, 1920 Cornerstone laid by local Masonic lodge
The L.C. Tiffany windows, which currently grace the church, (total of 8) were purchased separately from Grace-Covenant for $1000.
CHAPEL VIEW (above) AND CHAPEL ORGAN (below)
History of Organs at Ginter Park Baptist Church
ORIGINAL SANCTUARY ORGAN WAS BY ANTON GOTTFRIED
PRESENT SANCTUARY ORGAN
The organ is located behind the facade of the oiriginal Gottfried organ, with speaking pipes of the current organ, at the rear of a center arch behind the pulpit. Console is centered in front. Swell only is expressive.
PREVIOUS CHAPEL ORGAN
M.P. Moller organ, 1950s, Opus 7564, Artiste, 2m/3r
8 Diapason Conique
8 Lieblich Gedeckt
The organ was self-contained and all under expression.
PRESENT CHAPEL ORGAN
Lewis & Hitchcock organ, 1982, Opus 254, 1m/6r
MANUAL (divided at Middle C)
8 Gedeckt bass
Manual to Pedal coupler
Site visit by Donald Traser